-->

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

In the original Hebrew, God's name transliterates to YHWH

Why do we have "LORD" in translated modern bibles rather than YHWH?


In the original Hebrew, God's name transliterates to YHWH

Jewish unscriptural tradition called the "ineffable name" doctrine started to substitute YHWH (Ya-who-ah) name with the Hebrew title "Adonai". Adonai is the Hebrew word for Lord.  Jews ceased to use the name YHWH because it was believed that YHWH name was too sacred to be uttered.


Christians picked up on this tradition though scripture says to follow YHWH rather than man, we find that nearly 7,000 times the most important name of all is replaced with a another word that man has chosen.

YHWH, the revelation of the name is first given to Moses “I Am who I Am” Exodus 3:14. This name specifies an immediacy, a presence. Yahweh is present, accessible, near to those who call on Him for deliverance.

Exodus 3:14 

YHWH replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM," and then said, "Tell the Israelis: 'I AM sent me to you.'"



When that day comes

When that day comes

Popular Posts